Settore professionale: Sanità - Medico
Context Presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an Italian NGO established in 1991. It started its activities as “Un ponte per Baghdad”, in the aftermath of the first Gulf war, with the aim of organizing solidarity initiatives in support of the Iraqi civilian population. In subsequent years, UPP missions expanded to include Serbia and other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. The NGO aims at preventing armed conflicts, protecting human rights and supporting local civil society, especially in the Middle East, by promoting the nexus between its humanitarian, peacebuilding and development programs.
Since 2015, UPP has been one of the leading INGOs in the North East Syria (NES) response. Providing humanitarian aid and capacity building of local actors in Health and Protection as well as environmental health, including waste management. In partnership with local partners, UPP has been able to develop a comprehensive system of health services delivered in 26 facilities, including mobile units, hospitals, primary health care centres, and an ambulance network. For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
CONTEXT BACKGROUND: Conflict and displacement continue to affect North East Syria (NES), while needs are heightened due to the COVID-19 outbreak, impacting the provision of healthcare services, especially in remote areas and IDPs camps across all governorates. In continuation with previous Actions, UPP and partners aim to ameliorate living conditions and save lives of war-affected persons in NES by improving access to emergency and primary health care, life-saving obstetric and Reproductive Health (RH) services, and support the COVID-19 preparedness and response. Through a strengthened community-based strategy, UPP and partners will provide prevention outreach in health and protection to support local resilience. Through a flexible structure and a wide geographic coverage, the Action aims to provide the capacity to quickly assess and respond to emerging health and protection needs in different locations in NES.
Ruolo: Operation manager
DEFINITION OF THE POST
The Medical Advisor (MA) will work under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator in the Health Department of UPP NES Mission to ensure the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the activities related to Child Care and Nutrition, in UPP supported facilities in NES, through the design and the application of a comprehensive Child Care and Nutrition Programme and related Clinical Protocols or the revision of existing ones.
The MA role is also to advice the Program Department in the decision-making process and deliver project related documents according to donor requirement, under the supervision of the Program Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The medical advisor will be responsible for:
• Providing technical advice and guidance to Program Department and to Mission Management in the sector of intervention which the advisor is assigned (Child Care and Nutrition) under the supervision of the medical coordinator
• Contributing in the decision-making processes related to the design and implementation of strategies and tools related to the specific sector of intervention (Child Care and nutrition)
• Designing, planning and ensuring implementation of a community-based Child Care and Nutrition program and related clinical protocols (in line with recognized international standards), including mandatory screening and organization of referral of MAM and SAM,
• Organizing Promotion, prevention and medical attendance of children under 5 years old of age in all the supported facilities with a comprehensive perspective, including prevention and promotion
• Detection of malnutrition cases and set-up of referral pathways, mainly directed to children under five,
• Advising the functional design and operation of the services in the neonatal and child care services, both in emergency and program development,
• Advising and organizing the general clinical services (medical services, community medicine services, mental health, psychosocial support, public health, lab organization etc.) with particular capacity for planning, developing and training of child care and nutrition program in primary care settings
• Advising the organization of the patient counseling services as part of the primary care programs of
• child care linked with Maternal Program and Chronic diseases program
• Designing and organizing the registration and health care communication programs, and general clinical records and morbidity communication
• Planning and organizing the activities related with child care and nutrition of community medicine, involving, doctors, nurses and Community Health workers (CHWs) Developing a program for early infants including the promotion of exclusive breast feeding until 6 months of ageAdvising and organizing the accountability activities of centers and units in front of patients and communities
• Providing essential training to medical and non-medical staff in general primary care services, in particular related to the delivery of Child Care and Nutrition Services
• Elaborating M&E data for reporting purpose - Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
• Monitoring the overall functioning of Child care and nutrition services and programs in the targeted facilities, meeting the challenges and signaling the gaps and solutions to correct them, through regular field visits (when possible) or by developing and implementing tools for remote monitoring in case physical access is limited
• Participating in the support and supervision of the Assistant Medical advisor in the assigned area and in relation with the child care and nutrition program
• Advising and collaborating with the Project Manager in any demand related to his/her area of expertise
• Elaborating and analyzing M&E data for reporting purpose - Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
Position Title: Medical Advisor Child Care and Nutrition Program
Location: North East Syria or Remote Work in case of lockdown of the Country
Period: 6 months, with possible renewals
Closing date of the vacancy: 31st January 2022 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: ASAP
- Titolo di studio: Laurea di secondo livello o specialistica
- Esperienza pregressa: da 1 anno a 3 anni
- Lingue conosciute: Inglese; Italiano (preferenziale); Arabo (preferenziale)
• Minimum of three years professional experience in the primary care services.
• Minimum of two years professional expertise developing nutrition programs
• Accredited experience as trainer or teacher of primary care services in community bases primary care models.
• Accredited experience in setting primary care services in low income countries and or conflictive and far- to-reach areas
• Experience in community medicine and public health activities (specialization and/or master in primary health care management is an asset)
• Experience in planning and implementation of nutrition programs
• Experience in coordination of humanitarian aid projects
• Proven experience as field trainer in primary care area
• Good understanding of the project life cycle management
• Excellent capacity to work in team.
• Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives.
• Ability to supervise and/or mentor the medical staff.
• Previous work experience in humanitarian field.
• Excellent oral and written English. Arabic is an asset.
• Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, local institutions).
• Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
• Ability to work under pressure in stressful environments
• Knowledge of the Middle East. Specific knowledge about Syria economic context is a strong asset;
• Knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 - GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference “MA_Child Care and Nutrition - Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc. Be informed that UPP screens prospective colleagues through anti-terrorism/anti-money-laundering/anti-corruption/anti-fraud sanctions lists before job offer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.