INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Medical Unit Intern
Duty station: 2 months HQ Rome or remotely + 4 months INTERSOS field mission
Starting date: 01/10/2023
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of the Medical Unit
Dependents: non-family duty station
General context of the project
The Medical Unit provide technical and analytical support to the program department and INTERSOS missions on:
1. Developing country/regional medical strategies
2. Approve/validate the technical component of all project proposals containing health and nutrition components.
3. Approve/validate the technical component of all key reports for donors containing health and nutrition component.
4. Ensure the implementation of standard and/or national protocols
5. Supervise the start-up, progress and quality of medical activities with regular visits and contacts with on-site technical staff
6. Develop SOP and tools in order to standardize and facilitate field technical work and improve supervision and analysis
7. Representing INTERSOS at the international H&N fora
8. Participate in the recruitment process of medical expat personnel and the evaluation/development of expat/national staff
9. Provide technical support to other department and other dossier
General purpose of the position
The mentoring aims to:
1. Familiarize with the dynamics of the medical unit and operational documents
2. Provide an understanding of the project cycle
3. Improve analytical skills on medical-humanitarian challenges
4. Ameliorate the understanding on health and nutritional issues and challenges in different contexts
Main responsibilities and tasks
• support to medical coordinators in compiling sitrep and data collection
• support of medical coordinators in the use of new data collection platform
• Support on the integration and implementation of the INTERSOS medical SoPs and support in the development of the new ones (WASH, mental health, cash for health, community health etc)
• participation in sector meetings at the request of the supervisor
• support in other possible dossiers assigned by the supervisor
Required profile and experience
Medical degree, bachelor’s degree in nursing, if possible master degree in global health or related courses
Experience, including volunteer work, with NGOs or in developing countries.
Strong interest in beginning a career within the humanitarian sector
Good IT skills
Good analysis skills
Good writing skills
English: mandatory with good written and spoken comprehension.
French and Spanish: knowledge of one or both of these languages is an added value
Enthusiasm, flexibility and strong learning attitude
Strong motivation and adherence with humanitarian principles and INTERSOS mandate and values
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/internship/#intersos-vacancies-intern/vacancy-details/644e72945be51f0028c62957/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.